When it’s time to purchase new commercial dishwashers for your school’s foodservice operation, try not to become overwhelmed by all the choices. Today’s commercial dishmachines come with technological advances designed to create efficiency in your process and provide financial benefits as well as improved sustainability. Consider these five commercial dishwasher innovations and decide which options are best for you.
- Ventless Energy Recovery. This feature is found on high temperature dishwashers like the Hobart Advansys™ door-type model and can significantly decrease your operation’s utility costs. Here’s what you need to know: Ventless energy recovery technology uses steam from within the washing chamber to bring incoming cold water temperatures up so the machine doesn’t have to work as hard to reach its required 180 degrees for sanitization. The result? Less energy is needed to operate the machine and better working conditions are experienced by your employees. And, because the steam condenses and is removed from the chamber, a vent hood is not required—a $3,000 - $5,000 savings alone.
- Drain Water Energy Recovery, or DWeR. Look for this technology when considering a conveyor dishmachine. For instance, the Hobart CleN conveyor type dishwasher with DWeR reduces hot water usage by 90 percent. How does it work? The Advansys DWeR process captures heat energy from the drain water and uses it to increase the temperature of incoming cold water. The water is then moved through a booster heater, further raising the temperature of the water to the required 180 degrees for proper sanitization. DWeR technology makes smart use of energy that would otherwise—you guessed it—just go down the drain.
- Automatic Soil Removal, or ASR. While money-saving innovations are important to any K-12 foodservice environment, dishmachine features that save operators time on the front end are also in demand. If your team is spending a lot of time pre-rinsing and pre-scrapping before the ware items even make it into the machine, this technology will reduce that effort significantly. ASR technology pumps out food soils missed during pre-scrapping so the tank water stays cleaner longer. It also minimizes the chance of rewashing, not to mention improving overall results. So, when you’re considering which replacement dishwasher to purchase, look for the ASR feature. Fewer tank fills will result in water conservation as well as energy savings.
- ENERGY STAR® Qualification. To further promote your operation’s sustainability efforts, look for the ENERGY STAR® logo. Why is this important? According to EnergyStar.gov, commercial dishwashers that are ENERGY STAR certified are, on average, 40 percent more water and energy efficient than regular models. All Hobart CleN conveyor-type and Advansys door-type commercial dishwashers are ENERGY STAR certified. Remember that your ENERGY STAR equipment purchase may qualify for rebates. Eligible commercial dishmachines can have incentives as high as $2,700. Check the ENERGY STAR website for more details.
- Operator Ergonomics and Cleaning. Commercial dishwasher innovations may be equipment-based but they can also directly benefit the operator. Since staffing is always a big part of managing a foodservice operation, think about purchasing a dishmachine that contributes to operator satisfaction. Look for easy-to-read controls, ergonomically designed handles and features that make cleaning a breeze.
Choosing a replacement dishwasher for your K-12 kitchen is simple when you know the latest innovations and which ones are the priorities for your foodservice program. Use this guide when deciding which model to purchase and remember a few quick takeaways: The Hobart Advansys Ventless models can provide big cost savings—as much as $5,068 in the first year and up to $1,568 every year after. Plus, ENERGY STAR® certification helps ensure noticeable decreases in utility bills, which helps the bottom line AND sustainability initiatives.
Ready to learn more? Contact your local Hobart sales representative to find out which dishwasher would fit best into your school’s dishroom. They can also create a customized energy audit to show the savings you could experience with a new machine, making the switch that much easier.